Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

"I don't actually speak your language"

I need to learn how to say, "I don't actually speak your language" in Korean, Japanese, Chinese, French and Russian. I've been concentrating on learning greetings so much that my perfect pronunciation creates a misleading situation. I'm brave enough to attempt languages when I encounter folks from around the world but I end up writing a lot of checks I can't cash. Not yet, anyway. Working on it. 
Pantomime skill comes in handy a lot. I am motivated to learn this stuff.
Clowns can be entertainers, diplomats, spies, all those jobs are enhanced by knowing lots of languages. Also I consider it civic duty for all of us to know all the languages.
During a heated discussion with a Chinese person I was asked 
"Why are Americans proud of not knowing things?"
I don't have any answer but now I make it a point to demonstrate a better trait.
I try and learn something from every person that comes through.
People love hearing that I know bits of their language.
I hope they go home to report that they met, informed, emotionally intelligent, intellectually curious, friendly people.

No comments:

Post a Comment